Re: network nicety

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 18:33:31 +1300

On Mon, Oct 12, 1998 at 04:04:42AM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:

> Oh we want to at least beat the crap out of any other device on PC
> hardware, and 2.1.x fastroute is pretty good at that, but at the
> point you hit quad 100Mbit its becoming a losing battle. So yes we
> can go after a cisco4K no we probably cant touch a 7K

I don't know about quad 100, but dual 100 + other stuff, a 4700M
performs much better than a PPro200 with multiple 3c590 boomerang
cards.

This is especially noticeable with the MTUs are quite low (done to
keep jitter to a minimum).

The 4700M runs a 150Mhz IDT something with 256k L2 cache, so its more
or less comparable on CPU, if that.

-cw