Re: Linux-2.1.125 ... pre-2.2 imminent

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Sun, 11 Oct 1998 20:20:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 11 Oct 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

>> > 2 now), and whatever we do, we do have to
>> > understand that NT 5.0 is a threat to Linux.
>>
>> No, it is not.
>>
>> What should happen? Linux goes bankrupt? Microsoft buys GNU?
>
>Believe me Microsoft think Linux is a threat now. Its level with things like
>java in their perceived threat list, so you can expect all the usual MS
>techniques to start coming this way and very soon.

I believe that they will try and "buy" Linus out. Linus has
stated that he doesn't believe them to be "evil", and that if the
job was right, and money was right, he'd consider a job with
them. (Boot magazine).

Would this affect Linux? Definitely.

One scenario I envisioned, was Microsoft hiring Linus, perhaps
you as well, and other core developers, and then hiring other
people to come up with "Microsoft Linux" distribution. As far as
I know, they are free to do just that. Then they'd try putting
RedHat, etc... out of business.

They certainly wont get a dime from me though, and I'll never
have any Microsoft Linux software installed - free or otherwise.

Really, I believe their interest in Linux is inevitable though.

--
Mike A. Harris  -  Computer Consultant  -  Linux advocate

Linux software galore: http://freshmeat.net