Re: Problem with CDROM copying or VFAT

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Sun, 11 Oct 1998 20:55:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 11 Oct 1998, Kev wrote:

>> >What do you mean by 'move'? A move across filesystems can't succeed.
>> >Were you trying to tar it up and untar it in Linux and that was failing?
>>
>> Moves across filesystems do work. Let me illustrate:
>
>No, they don't; rename() cannot work across filesystem boundaries. I have
>noticed that GNU mv will fall back on copying the file if it is unable to
>move it.
>
>> However, I was using Midnight commander to do the move at first,
>> and it failed. I tried a few X filemanagers too and they failed
>> at the same point, so I think it is an FAT32 driver bug.
>
>Nope, this is expected behavior; they fail because rename() fails, and they
>don't try to fall back to copying the file, like GNU mv does.

If you're trying to tell me that I cannot move files and
directory trees across filesystems, you are wrong. I don't know
what the underlying methods are, nor do I really care, but I can
EASILY *MOVE* directory trees to and from any filesystem I have
mounted period. That means FAT, FAT32, NTFS, ext2, iso9660. I
do so in Midnight commander all the time. It can implement the
move however it likes, via copy+delete or whatever. As long as
the files and dirs end up where I want them, mission
accomplished.

I have tried to move this dir with 8 programs, all of which fail
on the same dir. This means that, it STARTS moving stuff, gets
half done, and then just sits there forever. No crash, no
lockup, just infinite loop of some kind. The process is in the
'R' state.

I went in Windows 95, and moved the dir to another dir, no
trouble whatsoever. All files were intact, and Norton Disk
Doctor verified the volume.

Back in Linux, no go. I could move other dirs no problem, but
that one dir would not move. I will try and isolate the file
that is giving trouble if I can...

--
Mike A. Harris  -  Computer Consultant  -  Linux advocate

Linux software galore: http://freshmeat.net