Re: Linux-2.1.125 ... pre-2.2 imminent

kernel@whitestar.soark.net
Sun, 11 Oct 1998 07:32:34 -0400

On Sat, Oct 10, 1998 at 11:12:18PM -0400, Horst von Brand wrote:
> Shawn Leas <sleas@ixion.honeywell.com> said:
>
> [...]
>
> > I have to say, there's more people running/testing devfs
> > right now, even being it is a seperate patch, than a LOT
> > of INCLUDED kernel drivers... It has been FURIOUSLY tested.
> >
> > I believe including it would DEFINITELY NOT hurt. It has
> > NO effect if you CONFIG_DEVFS=n
>
> Except more code to be maintained.

Its maintained now, its just moving it to where it will be tested more.

> Besides, AFAIKS it "fixes" a nonexistent problem by creating worse.

Lets NOT get into that, we have had that flame war, a few times, for
some things the current setup is broken, for most its not, but for those
which it is broken for its HORRIBLE..
Just, please, drop this issue before setting 2.2.0 back a few months by
creating a huge war..

Zephaniah E, Hull..