Re: Problem with CDROM copying or VFAT.

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Sun, 11 Oct 1998 06:42:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 10 Oct 1998, Gordon Chaffee wrote:

>> I copied the MS Publisher 97 CDROM onto my FAT32 drive in Windows
>> 95.
>>
>> Once in Linux, I needed to make up some space on the FAT32 drive
>> for archiving stuff temporarily. I went to move the MSPub tree
>> to a dir on ext2 drive, and it hung at a certain point every time
>> I tried to move it. The only solution I could find was to tar
>> the dir in WIndows, and then move it in Linux.
>
>What do you mean by 'move'? A move across filesystems can't succeed.
>Were you trying to tar it up and untar it in Linux and that was failing?

Moves across filesystems do work. Let me illustrate:

1 root@red:~# mount
/dev/hda6 on / type ext2 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/hda2 on /stuff type ext2 (rw,noatime)
/dev/hda1 on /fat32 type vfat (rw)
/dev/hdb1 on /dos/c type msdos (rw,umask=027)

1 root@red:~# pwd
/root

1 root@red:~# mv serial.html /fat32/
serial.html -> /fat32/serial.html

1 root@red:~# ls serial.html
/bin/ls: serial.html: No such file or directory

1 root@red:~# mv /fat32/serial.html .
/fat32/serial.html -> ./serial.html

1 root@red:~# ls serial.html
serial.html

So, as you can see, I just moved a file from my ext2 partition to
my fat32 partition and back. Works like a charm.

However, I was using Midnight commander to do the move at first,
and it failed. I tried a few X filemanagers too and they failed
at the same point, so I think it is an FAT32 driver bug.

--
Mike A. Harris  -  Computer Consultant  -  Linux advocate

Linux software galore: http://freshmeat.net