X and SysRq [was: Re: Magic SysRQ not working for me.]

D. Schwingel (ds@conex.com.br)
Sun, 11 Oct 1998 01:36:51 -0300

Mike A. Harris wrote:

> I'm running 2.1.125, and have just finished reading the magic
> sysrq documentation in the kernel Documentation dir. My kernel
> has this feature compiled in, and I can't get it to work at all.

Hi,

I can tell what happens to me (1.2.124).

Before starting X everything happens exactly docs state, however after I
start X the behavious is as follows:

SHIFT+SCROLL LOCK: seems not work

CTRL+SCROLL LOCK: seems not work

ALT+SYSRQ+(ANY KEY): seems to be working, but nothing is displayed on
the screeen. I say it seems to be working because the keypresses are
logged in /var/adm/messages and when I press ALT+SYSRQ+S I can see that
the buffers are flushed to disk.

It seems to me that the keys are working, but the kernel is printing
into some black hole.

When X starts does it set the console in some strange place?

I have read Documentation/sysrq.txt and didn't find anything about X
killing SysRq.

Also I would like to report an interesting side effect of pressing
SHIFT+SCROLL LOCK on the console. In my system, every time I press these
keys the "Total network buffer allocations" item is increased by 20.
Just try to press these keys and maintain pressed. You will see the
numbers in the third line (from bottom to top) increasing each time the
screen is updated (at least in my machine).

Dino