Re: [OFFTOPIC] IDE maintainer?

Andre M. Hedrick (hedrick@astro.dyer.vanderbilt.edu)
Sun, 11 Oct 1998 03:16:28 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 10 Oct 1998, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> I haven't seen Mark Lord posting in this list in a long time. I
> remember him and Linus having a spat back around 2.1.112 or so,
> and Mark changing his .sig to be "Ex-Linux-IDE-guy", however I
> thought this problem was solved and all parties involved worked
> out their differences.

I doubt that all issues were settled or you would not have needed to
enquire about the subject.

> So, is Mark still around here, or has he officially left
> Linux-development?

Mark is off in the background and is busy with other work, yes, all but
left Linux.

> If so, has anyone else stepped up to the task?

I spent a long time trying to pick is brain during the introduction of
IO-APIC into the kernel. What I did learn was that I had a lot to learn.
Since I bugged him the most and a few other things, I offerred to help.

I have stepped up after being part of a loose-knit group of ide-misfits,
only because I have a big mouth. I am not in the official capacity to
date as the IDE Maintainer, but have started to work with Linus in the
meantime.

My speciality wrt to IDE was making off-board UDMA cards
functional/bootable. Since all SMP PPros and P5 mainboards that I know
of are limited to DMA mode 2, I needed direct UDMA support and upgradablity.
Thus a need, an action taken.

Any and all help is welcomed. If someone more skilled than me wants the
task, I am willing to fall back to what I worked on before. Until that
time, I need IDE support also............thus I am attempting to
keep the driver moving in a forward direction.

Cheers,
Andre Hedrick
The IDE-FNG for Linux

http://www.dyer.vanderbilt.edu/server/udma/