Re: Undeleteable files from corrupt partition

Glynn Clements (glynn@sensei.co.uk)
Sat, 10 Oct 1998 14:45:08 +0100 (BST)

Mackenzie St. Louis wrote:

> Recently several partitions on my system became damage after losing
> power to my system. After running fsck several files list below where
> created in the lost+found directory and serveral directories thru out my
> systems (NOTICE THE MODE INFO). I can not seem to delete these files.
> I always get the message Operation not permitted. I am trying to delete
> them while logged in as root, so there shouldn't be a permissing Can any
> tell me what these files are,

[snip]

They are things that fsck found on your hard disk that it thinks might
be worth keeping.

> why they were created

They weren't `created'. They were `found' by fsck, but didn't exist in
any directory, so it moved them to lost+found.

> and how to get rid of them.

Use `chattr -i' to remove the `immutable' attribute from the files.
Then you will be able to delete them.

--
Glynn Clements <glynn@sensei.co.uk>