MDACON (Was: Re: bttv and mga)

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Sat, 10 Oct 1998 07:28:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 10 Oct 1998, Martin Mares wrote:

>> In the 2.1.117 days I used to pass param like : "video=map:00001111"
>> to lilo get mga on F-5 to F-8 and vga on remaining 8 consoles. It
>> does not seems to work in 120 and 125 anymore. In case of 125 I get
>> automatically mga on 12-15. Any comments? Has the 'map:' been depreciated?
>>
>> (btw, the info on map: is form HOWTO-framebuffer).
>
> In post-2.1.124 kernels MDA support doesn't use FBcon at all -- it's a separate
>console driver now and it has its own parameters. Use "mdacon=5-8" to get what
>you want.

Martin,

First of all, CONGRADULATIONS!! I just finally got mdacon to
work! I am writing this message on my mono monitor right now,
well my VGA is sitting right beside me running X. Absolutely
fantastic!

Thanks to all of the developers of the new console code as well!

Now that that is said, I'd like to report a bug. ;o)

Here is my kernel bootup message (with MDACON built into the
kernel).

mdacon: MDA with 4K of memory detected.
Console: switching consoles 12-15 to MDA-2

Here is my lilo.conf:

image=/boot/zImage-2.1.125-1
label=devel
root=/dev/hda6
vga=ext
append= "mdacon=13-16"
read-only

As you can see, I've told it to use consoles 13-16. It is using
those consoles, however the startup message has an off by one
error. I've looked through the sources, and I can't determine
what is at fault. No trouble though, it works, and that is what
is important. You can likely fix it in a jiffy.

Take care! TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris  -  Computer Consultant  -  Linux advocate

Linux software galore: http://freshmeat.net