Re: Scsi tape - returns ENXIO after an error

Shannon Hendrix (shendrix@escape.widomaker.com)
Sat, 10 Oct 1998 02:10:20 -0400

In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.981009205526.1289E-100000@air.fast.net>, "Steven N. H
irsch" writes:

> On Fri, 9 Oct 1998, Harald Koenig wrote:
>
> > On Oct 09, Itai Nahshon wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > > I got a new DDS2 tape drive (Sony SDT-7000). I'm trying to read
> > > an old tape (probably not compatible) and I'm getting this error:
> > >
> > > nahshon# tar vtf /dev/st0
> > > tar: Read error on /dev/st0: I/O error
> > > tar: At beginning of tape, quitting now
> > >
> > > Later, I cannot use the tape drive:
> > >
> > > nahshon# tar vtf /dev/st0
> > > tar: Cannot open /dev/st0: No such device or address
> > >
> > > The only way to recover is to unload and reload the st module
> > > (if I use a modularized kernel).
>
> > this is the same which happens to me too using 2.1.119 to 122
> > with SCSI tapes (DDS1 and QIC150) connected to an AHA1542,
> > but I don't see it for DDS2 connected to NCR810.
>
> Am I imagining things, or isn't this a long-standing problem noted on
> Alan's "to-do" list? I don't know if Kai Makisara reads this list, so has
> anyone E-Mailed him directly with a report?

Just to add some noise... I had this problem in 2.1.10x.

My system has a DPT 2044 SCSI controller and this exact problem
occured with my Anaconda 4mm tape drive. Unloading and reloading
the driver usually fixed things. I could only get a few hundred
megs on tape before the driver died with a stream of timeout errors.

Now I have 2.1.124 running and have done 2-6gb backups with no trouble
(knock on wood).

I have a Wangtek 5150ES Q250 drive that never worked since the
pre-2.0 kernels and crashed the system in 2.1.107. It has never
been tried with the current kernel (its not even hooked up).

--
csh - shendrix@widomaker.com - http://www.widomaker.com - Will Hack 4 F00D