Re: [OT] RE: UDI and Free Software (fwd)

Fri, 9 Oct 1998 16:30:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 9 Oct 1998, Tim Smith wrote:

> On 9 Oct 1998 ketil@ii.uib.no wrote:
> > Since long. In USA, reverse engineering in order to discover ``trade
> > secrets'' is apparently illegal. Laws vary elsewhere, in particular,
> > the EU allows reverse engineering in order to find out how things work.
>
> However, in the US, reverse engineering in order to discover interfaces
> so you can interoperate with something has been approved in the court
> cases I'm aware of, so provided one is careful (i.e., make sure what one
> does corresponds to what the people who won those court cases did), it
> should be possible to reverse engineer to discover interfaces.
>
> --Tim Smith

Phoenix describes an approved method:
(1) 'Dirty' programmers review whatever they want, including
disassembled code and prepare a functional specification.

(2) Using only the resulting specification, 'clean' programmers
duplicate the functionality.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.123 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).