Re: [OT] RE: UDI and Free Software (fwd)

Fri, 9 Oct 1998 22:17:47 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 9 Oct 1998, Terry L Ridder wrote:

> Lauri Tischler wrote:
> >
> > Alex Buell wrote:
> > -- snip--
> > > (and before you suggest disassembling, it's illegal)
> >
> > Since when ?
> > Disassembly is an Timehonored Way (tm) to find out how things work.
> > What do they do if you 'open the box', void warranty ?
> >

> There is at least one new WIPO treaty presently before the USA Congress
> which would make "reverse engineering" illegal.

There is not only 2 Billions of Chinese people that do not care of USA
law, but also 50 Millions of French people. I will always piss the way I
like to piss, regardless the USA Congress will suggest how it is legal to
piss. As you know the center of the World is in France at Perpignan
Station and the USA Congress cannot change that forever. ;-)

> You may want to refer to http://www.wipo.org
>
> There are also several case studies on the Internet concerning when
> disassembly of a program does and does not violate the copyright.
>
> There is also the software license itself, which most explictly
> state that you are not allowed to "reverse engineer" the software.
>
> If the USA Congress ratifies the WIPO treaty "reverse engineering"
> will become illegal in the USA.

So, if you are in the shit due to a black box, then you will be required
to stay so since the USA Congress said so.
Such a Licence will only be legal inside the USA. Let's hope M$ will use
such a Licence, so that M$ crap will definitely stay at home. ;-)

Regards,
Gerard.