Re: OOM band-aid

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Fri, 9 Oct 1998 09:45:37 +0200 (MEST)

Rik van Riel wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Clayton Weaver wrote:
>
> > Not to belittle anyone's efforts to get more efficient use of the
> > system and stave off the big implosion, but the "kill something,
> > glean some stale pages that we don't really need but that are still
> > marked as in use" seems kind of stop-gap to me. It has this
> > vagueness and ambiguity to it. Maybe that's just because I'm not
> > reading the vm code while I think about it, but "what to kill" seems
> > to me insoluble.
>
> Please look at my patch. I made up a somewhat simple but
> effective algorithm that seems to kill the right process
> 9 out of 10 times on all the testers' machines.
>
> > This seems to me a sort of poking at it with a stick blindfolded
> > solution.
>
> Not really, you have quite a lot of data available to
> do your choosing. Program size, CPU time used, time
> running, (non-)suid, root, IOPL, etc...
>
> > What about a dynamic swap file with no size limit other than
> > partition space wherever /var/tmp or /tmp live?
>
> This means suspending the problem until you hit that limit.
> Ie: it's not a real solution.

Moreover I posted a program that allowed you to do exactly this a few
weeks/months ago, just so that I could say that it's already
implemented.

As promised back then, I don't use it, I don't have it anymore.
Backup is on the net.

Roger.

--
| Most people would die sooner than think....  |    R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl
| in fact, most do.  -- Bertrand Russsell      |     phone: +31-15-2137555
We write Linux device drivers for any device you may have! fax: ..-2138217