Re: 'disposable' dirty pages [was: Out Of Memory in v. 2.1]

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Fri, 9 Oct 1998 18:14:32 +1300

On Thu, Oct 08, 1998 at 12:16:12PM -0500, Ely Wilson wrote:

> And what ever happened to soemone argument about checking/handling
> NULL was more work for the programmer? Hmm? Which is more?
> Implementing a scheme where your prorgam will attempt to free as
> much memory as posible or making sur eyou never use more than you
> need to begin with.

OOM when some process tries to allocate some RAM isn't really a big
issue, the applications just fails.

OOM is a problem though when we need network buffers or something
urgent when the failure modes aren't as pretty... (eg. NFS).

-cw