Alladin IDE (Re: Hope for UDMA on Alladin simplex IDE?)

Andre M. Hedrick (hedrick@astro.dyer.vanderbilt.edu)
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 21:17:37 -0500 (CDT)

There is a project in the works for supporting this chipset;
however, it is still a thought pattern. With access to the data sheets
to date, the "SIMPLEX" problem is workable in principle.

An honest answer is that it most likely will not make 2.2.0 release.
I have yet to hear back from the pointman of the project, but I have
not been avaliable lately either.

I may be able to get access to one of these MB's, but not yet...

On Tue, 6 Oct 1998 parse@salem.k12.va.us wrote:

> Hi,
> Apparently the Alladin IDE chipset has become popular on a few
> MB's, and since it's got the screwy simplex dma, that apparently means no
> UDMA performance boost for people with this chipset.
> I was wondering if there was any way to get UDMA to a single HD,
> possibly by moving the CDROM drive to a separate cheap IDE controller.
>
> thanks...
>
> - --
> David L. Parsley
> City of Salem Schools
>
> > Any chance to fix this ? I need threads and file locking.
> Yes, excellent chances of getting it fixed -- this is Linux.
>

> -

Cheers,
Andre Hedrick
The IDE-FNG for Linux