Re: IP accounting under 2.0.35

Marc MERLIN (marc_merlin@magic.metawire.com)
8 Oct 1998 19:42:37 GMT

On 7 Oct 1998 13:43:35 -0700, Shane Wegner <shane@cm.nu> wrote:
>The problem is that every three days or so when the transfer goes beyond
>about three gigs, it seems to wrap back to zero. Is this a limitation
>somewhere that can be adjusted or do I have something configured wrong?

You're lucky it takes you three days (less than a couple of hours for me)
:-)

Anyway, yes it's a known limitation of the 2.0.x accounting feature as it
uses 32 bit counters.
IP Chains (the replacement in 2.1.x kernels) uses 64 bit counters and will
solve your problems.
See
http://www.adelaide.net.au/~rustcorp/ipfwchains/ipfwchains.html
http://juanjox.home.ml.org/

And if you wonder, 2.1.124, although not perfect, is usable on production
machines

Marc

--
Home page: http://magic.metawire.com/~merlin/ (friendly to non IE browsers)