Re: oom-9 [Re: [patch] oom-7]

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 17:05:15 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> oom-9 is out. I added a very useful anti-starvation test at the top of
> swap_out() and shm_swap():
>
> if (!nr_swap_pages)
> return 0;

This is broken, because swap_out() also is used to:
- clear out clean pages which have a mapping in swap space
- unmap mmap()ed pages from the application's address space

> I also replaced the nr_free_pages < freepages.min with
> !free_memory_available() in mmput() to use better kswapd when some
> process release memory.

That is a very good change, because it will allow us to
change the free-memory criterium in _one_ place when we
need to change it someplace in the future.

> Now I' d like to get reports of failed MM allocation even if there's
> some physiscal space available (as Rik pointed out). Once somebody
> will report such problem and how to trigger it I' ll think something
> to improve kswapd.

I'm pretty sure that these reports already are in the linux-kernel
archives of several months back. In any case, I don't think we
should take the risk of going with a less sure behaviour of kswapd,
especially not now we're in a code freeze...

Rik.