Re: HP LH3 & Linux alternate question

ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 12:35:52 +0200

On Sat, Oct 03, 1998 at 09:52:50PM -0300, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

> "Small efficient fast-running code" isn't the only issue. A case in point
> in CMU ECE is Matlab: the code isn't that bad, but the data sets get *very*
> large. Large enough, in fact, that we're impatiently waiting for a released
> kernel with large swap partition support ("released" because we're unlikely
> to get a stable AFS client for 2.0.36pre-patches :-) for the folks who want
> to run their jobs without having to fight for access to the Suns and Alphas.
>
> And before CMU I was consulting for a bank department which runs financial
> simulations a lot. One simulation they were experimenting with used 2GB of
> RAM and an equal amount of swap....

For banks this is a small server. Not rarely they're already waiting for
bigger iron than for example Sun's Starfire aka E10000 which has a maximum
configuration of 64 CPUs / 64gb memory. Banks are currently buying these
boxes like normal people buy milk.

I expect that's going to be some problem for the Linux comunity as well. It's
not going to be easy to provide an OS that both fits a 386SX/8mb and top of
the line iron of Starfires or Origin 2000 caliber - and there were already
first steps of porting Linux to that class of machines.

Ralf