Re: unremovable files and possible fs corruption (2.1.123)

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 02:18:52 -0400 (EDT)

Theodore Y. Ts'o writes:
>> From: "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>

>> Please, make it a union! Every filesystem has a few odd features.
>> The kernel itself has a union in the inode data. The system call
>> needs that too.
>
> Actually, the whole idea behind the chflags() interface is that it
> *isn't* an ext2-specific function. This interface would also be used
> to set the R/O and System flags on FAT filesystems, for example.

You will run out of bits very quickly with all the filesystems
Linux supports.

> I'm not at all convinced that the stat structure is the right
> place to add filesystem-specific unions.

Where else? If not there, then they go in redundant_stat_like_struct.

The ext2 flags are totally filesystem-specific and do not belong
in the general stat structure, unless you put them in a union.
UFS has incompatible flags, FAT has incompatible flags...

It seems BSD tied the stat structure to UFS. Oops. They live in a UFS
world though, while Linux supports all sorts of weird filesystems.
I don't think you'd want to fill the stat structure with NTFS data.