Re: [OT] RE: UDI and Free Software

kwrohrer@ce.mediaone.net
Wed, 7 Oct 1998 17:48:41 -0500 (CDT)

And lo, david parsons saith unto me:

> In article <linux.kernel.m0zQyUP-000aNTC@the-village.bc.nu>,
> Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> >It isnt a case of extra copies. Its fundamentally impossible for a UDI
> >driver to access the parallel port under Linux because there is no UDI speak
> >for 'parport_*' calls which you _have_ to make. There are numerous other
> >examples like that.
>
> There are a few solutions to that.
>
> First, if needed, the UDI people should modify their spec to accomodate
> the existing Linux device driver.
Or existing native drivers in general. Ideally, driver layers might
alternate between UDI and native, e.g. native SCSI CD-R and native
parallel port drivers sandwiched around a UDI driver for the parallel-
to-SCSI cable I found in the box with my scanner.

Keith (it was a mac/PC version...and it was cheap)

--
"The avalanche has already started; |Linux: http://www.linuxhq.com     |"Zooty,
it is too late for the pebbles to   |KDE:   http://www.kde.org         | zoot