Re: gdb vs. glibc (glibc-devel-2.0.7-19, aka RedHat 5.1) vs linux 2.1.124

Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl)
7 Oct 1998 20:42:02 +0200

In article <UTC199810071634.SAA70068.aeb@texel.cwi.nl>,
<Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl> wrote:
>The solution is simple: there is a subdirectory /usr/include/linux
>that is not a symbolic link to kernel headers but part of the glibc
>distribution. A few times a year, when a new glibc is released,
>the glibc maintainer (perhaps after consulting knowledgeable people
>to find out what is a good reference kernel) copies the include files

Which is coincidentally exactly how the Debian distribution
ships the libc6 development package .. and it has ended a
lot of headaches for me. Ofcourse it took a major flamewar
before this solution got accepted :)

Mike.

--
  "Did I ever tell you about the illusion of free will?"
    -- Sheriff Lucas Buck, ultimate BOFH.