Re: NCR53C8XX 3.0g fixes.

Tue, 6 Oct 1998 23:15:17 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 6 Oct 1998, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:
>
> > I applied this patch to 124pre-2 and built a kernel for my problem Alpha
> > UDB box. Much better! Rather than blowing up with incessant 'time out'
> > messages (with power-down the only recovery option), it intermittantly
> > spits out a slew of them and bounces back for more.
>
> Well, the honeymoon is over. After a brief respite, the 3.0i driver on my
> UDB is back to the old behavior. I (again) re-installed the 2.5f

Hmmm... Seems the fix weared out. :-)
How could it possible? :-)
Could you describe the behaviour.

> driver and it works fine. I am not seeing the same misbehavior reported
> by others (message reject, etc.), it's a simple device timeout on the
> Maxtor 540SL drive that seemingly never recovers.

Which SCSI features are enabled for the drive.
Could you report me your .config file and boot messages using driver 2.5f.
Could you provide me with more information on the problem like:
- Are other devices detected?
- At what step of the SCSI scan, the problem seem to occur.
- What is the command that times-out (config. with verbose SCSI message).
- What are the latest 'normal' kernel messages just before the breakage.

> Originally, I thought that the 2.5f driver was also broken with 2.1.124,
> but it was my error in configuration - sorry for the misleading input.

Regards,
Gerard.