Re: unremovable files and possible fs corruption (2.1.123)

Simon Kirby (sim@netnation.com)
Tue, 6 Oct 1998 12:25:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 6 Oct 1998, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 5 Oct 1998 22:20:29 +0200 (SAT), Chris the Elder
> <chippo@cdsec.com> said:
>
> > But now for the intersting bit: at various places in the filesystem are to
> > be found files like:
>
> > b--xr-srwt 1 28268 25967 101, 111 Sep 9 2028 kcontrol
>
> > These files, however are un-removable:
>
> > [root@chippo lost+found]# rm -f "#116588"
> > rm: #116588: Operation not permitted
>
> Try "lsattr" and see if the immutable bit is set on the files. If so,
> "chattr -i <filenames>" will clear the bit, and the files will be
> deletable again.

Unfortunately, you cannot chattr device files. The only way of erasing
these now is to use "debugfs" (part of ext2-utils). I heard the new
(1.12) ext2 fsck fixes these files somehow, but I'm not sure if it's true
or not. I had a server at work with bad RAM do this on me, and debugfs
let me clear it up without any problems.

Simon-

| Simon Kirby | Systems Administration |
| mailto:sim@netnation.com | NetNation Communications |
| http://www.netnation.com/ | Tech: (604) 684-6892 |