Re: BogoMIPS

Tue, 6 Oct 1998 13:50:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 6 Oct 1998, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi!

> > > Are you sure? I saw reports where it depended on place in _page_
> > > (imagine udelay loop at page boundary). So you maybe should .align
> > > PAGE_SIZE.
> >
> > I presume this is a joke.
>
> Sorry, it is not. Someone shown timings of empty loop at they were
> dependend on placement of code in page. (It gives plenty of sense if
> code happens to cross page boundary.)

It does not make any sense. That kind is situation is the primary
reason for the instruction-queue (which includes the 32-byte code-
queue + the prefetcher + the external cache). When register-to-
register looping operations occur, everything will have already been
fetched. It is only when memory oprands occur, or you run off the
cache-line with new code, that any new code fetches occur.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.123 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).