Re: [patch] Re: Out Of Memory in v. 2.1

D. Schwingel (ds@conex.com.br)
Tue, 06 Oct 1998 12:39:44 -0300

Shaun Wilson wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Oct 1998, D. Schwingel wrote:
>
> > Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

[deleted]

> This leaves the job of administration up to the admin. He should be aware
> of when a program may have sucked up all available memory, and should
> decide when and if to kill that process.
>
> Just as you had to do, personally that look s much better than a hung
> system yeah?

You're right. I understand that the job of the OS is (also) to keep the
system alive in stress conditions (and this is specially true in
corporate networks) but take in account that when you administer a lot
of remote servers, an OOMKiller is not such a bad thing to enable. If
killer kills, eg, sendmail you will be alerted by your normal
alarm/monitoring software and can log in remotely and restart it.
At this time, you could not even log in to do that. It sucks going to
the central site 3am just to press reset (but this is a little OT).

Regards

Dino