Re: NCR53C8XX 3.0g fixes.

Steven N. Hirsch (shirsch@adelphia.net)
Tue, 6 Oct 1998 07:39:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

> I applied this patch to 124pre-2 and built a kernel for my problem Alpha
> UDB box. Much better! Rather than blowing up with incessant 'time out'
> messages (with power-down the only recovery option), it intermittantly
> spits out a slew of them and bounces back for more.

Well, the honeymoon is over. After a brief respite, the 3.0i driver on my
UDB is back to the old behavior. I (again) re-installed the 2.5f
driver and it works fine. I am not seeing the same misbehavior reported
by others (message reject, etc.), it's a simple device timeout on the
Maxtor 540SL drive that seemingly never recovers.

Originally, I thought that the 2.5f driver was also broken with 2.1.124,
but it was my error in configuration - sorry for the misleading input.

Steve