Re: [patch] Re: Out Of Memory in v. 2.1

D. Schwingel (ds@conex.com.br)
Tue, 06 Oct 1998 02:30:14 -0300

Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, Bill Hawes wrote:
>
> >Roy Bixler wrote:
> >
> >> I am running kernel 2.1.123 on a couple of workstations and find a
> >> reliable way to make the machines completely non-responsive is simply

[deleted]

> I passed last night and this afternoon on the OOM problem. I discovered
> many problems in the current MM of 2.1.123.
>
> I developed a patch that fix all problems I can reproduce. With this my
> patch applyed I am not able to deadlock (or better persistence starvation)
> 2.1.123. Linux now is _always_ able to kill a process when _needed_.

[deleted]

This is my TEST 4, with no X, KDE, etc.

Logged in a VC and ran leak.

Try to log into another VC and:
Welcome to Linux 2.1.124.

wolverine login: ds
/bin/login: can't map '/lib/libc.so.5'
/bin/login: can't map '/lib/libc.so.5'
/bin/login: can't load library 'libc.so.5'
/bin/sh: can't map '/lib/libc.so.5'
/bin/sh: can't map '/lib/libc.so.5'
/bin/sh: can't load library 'libc.so.5'
/bin/sh: can't map '/lib/libc.so.5'
/bin/sh: can't map '/lib/libc.so.5'
/bin/sh: can't load library 'libc.so.5'
/bin/sh: can't map '/lib/libc.so.5'
/bin/sh: can't map '/lib/libc.so.5'
/bin/sh: can't load library 'libc.so.5'
Unable to load interpreter
INIT: Id "c3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
--------------------------------------

The system remained responsive (however I can say that it had the same
behaviour some kernel releases ago) but I wasn't able to run anything

I could switch to the VC running leak an press ^C.

The system is ok, I logged in, run xinit and I'm using netscape to write
this.

Im starting to have doubts if the patch was applied correctly, but I
applied the patch, ran make dep and make bzImage. The timestamps seems
correct and the image was created ok.

I'm not sure what's hapenning...

Is this the expected behaviour?
Am I doing something stupid?

I will do a few more tests and if I find anything usefull I will report
it.

Dino