Re: unsupported sector size 2048

Cyrille Chepelov (chepelov@rip.ens-cachan.fr)
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 14:39:02 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 5 Oct 1998 Igor.Bujanovic@ne-krsko.si wrote:

> I'm unable to mount SCSI magneto-optical (MO) rewritable/removable 640MB
> disk. Here are the messages:
[snip]
> Kernel 2.0.35, Adaptec AHA-294X SCSI host adapter, FUJITSU-Model: M2513A
^^^^^^
> unit.

A quite classic problem, been biten by that before (I've got the same
drive). Try using a 2.1.12x, it works almost(*) great for that purpose.

-- Cyrille

(*) almost, because Linux and M$ operating systems disagree on how to
interpret partition tables for disks where the hardware sector size !=
512, making NT-formatted MOD unreadable by Linux. I haven't done the
detective work to check who's guilty, however, and if Linux' way of
reading the ptable has to change, it'd break compatibility with older
partitioned disks ; obviously, the new partition table policy would have
to be either optional or automatically detected (if at all possible).
Knowing who's guilty would help find a good name for that option (either
fix_ms_ptable_bug or read_buggy_linux_ptable :-) )