Re: Out Of Memory in v. 2.1

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
4 Oct 1998 15:05:32 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.m0zPwOX-000aNdC@the-village.bc.nu>,
Alan Cox <linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu> wrote:
[On overcommit]

[someone else wrote]

>> So, for a solution, let's do what all programs know how to deal with. Return
>> nulls instead of overallocating. No processes need to get killed, and the
>> system won't get deadlocked by overallocation.

>And to boot a machine with 512Mb of RAM you'll need at least 600Mb or
>so of swap file.

That's one thing I've always wondered about. Why not have the system
keep track of total memory instead of wanting to mirror memory onto
swap? It seems to me that if you have 512mb of core and 128mb of
swap that you've got 640mb of memory and you should be able to do
allocations against that, since either a page will be in core or
on the swap device.

____
david parsons \bi/ Confused.
\/