Re: io_apic changes trashes partition table

T Taneli Vahakangas (vahakang@cs.Helsinki.FI)
Sun, 4 Oct 1998 13:00:13 +0300 (EEST)

Hello!

On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, Eastep, Tom wrote:

> Harald Hoyer wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > could you please revert the io_apic changes until 2.1.122.
> > 123 and pre124-2 cause my Dual Tyan Tomcat III to not sending any interrupts.
> > Strangely modifying my Masterboot record in a way that kernels 2.1.xx crashes at
> > partition check. I have to boot with 2.1.35 an reinstall lilo to have the
> > ability to boot with 2.1.122.
> > Reverting the changes made in io_apic and 2.1.124 is fine....
> > I can provide help in testing patches ....
>
> 2.1.123 through 2.1.124pre1 didn't work for me either (although I posted a
> one-line patch that allowed my system to work with these kernels).
>
> 2.1.124pre2 has an equivalent change and also eliminates a message that I used
> to get about my broken BIOS.

Add another data point: 2.1.123 is working alright without modifications
here (Gigabyte GA-6BXD). 2.1.124-pre2 dies when trying to mount / (and for
some odd reason it tries to mount it as msdosfs). It didn't mangle the
boot record, though, so I was able to boot into an older kernel.

Taneli <vahakang@cs.helsinki.fi>