Re: Out Of Memory in v. 2.1

Matthew Hawkins (matt@mail.goldweb.com.au)
Sat, 3 Oct 1998 23:09:17 +1000

On Sat, 03 Oct 1998, D. Schwingel wrote:

> I've been testing Rick's OOM Killer (v2 only 'cause I cannot patch v3)
> and this program works fine (well, maybe "fine" is not the right word)
> -----------------------------------
> #include <stdlib.h>
>
> main()
> {
> while(1)
> {
> if( malloc(2048) == 0)
> sleep(1);
> }
> }
> This program shows how easy (snif :( ) is to crash a Unix/Linux system
> without any big trick or root access. I call it leak.c

Somebody slap me if I'm missing something obvious, but shouldn't this have
absolutely no effect on the system whatsoever until the allocated memory is
written to? Was the copy-on-write protection taken out of the kernel?

(COW is a band-aid patch anyway since it's so easily defeated by malicious
programs)

--
Matt