Re: Linus is on a powertrip..

Terry L Ridder (terrylr@tbcnet.com)
Sat, 03 Oct 1998 18:39:34 -0500

Alan Cox wrote:

> > IMO, a cursory examination of the history of *BSD politics, stalled
> > development and splits reveals that one of the most harmful delusions in the
> > *BSD world is that it is some sort of democracy.
>
> You don't need to single out BSD for that. Give or take a bit of handwaving
> Linux, Apache and *BSD are a Meritocracy. Its also better to think of Linus
> as the QA manager from hell. The guy that drives every programmer up the
> wall but not one of them would wish to be without.
>
> As to "power trip". You can accuse Linus of being a bad delegator, or a poor
> manager perhaps but I don't think its an ego trip. Letting go of something
> you created, spent several years of your life on and polished to your own
> vision of perfection cannot be easy.

If you take away the last part about "vision of perfection" you have
basically
described what it was like to when my two oldest children started off to
college. I can tell you it does not get any easier sending them back
after they
have been home for the summer. So for those of us on the list who have
watched
our own children "leave the nest", I for one have a very good idea of
what Linux
means to Linus.

--
Terry L. Ridder
Blue Danube Software (Blaue Donau Software)

entertaining angels by the light of my computer screen 24-7 you wait for me entertaining angels while the night becomes history host of heaven, sing over me ==Entertaining Angels==Newsboys