[OFF-TOPIC] Re: 2.1.123 and fbcon.c

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Fri, 2 Oct 1998 16:40:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Shawn Leas wrote:

>> > Note that if some person cannot be bothered to re-submit, I don't WANT the
>> > patch. Anybody who is not willing to take that much care of his patches
>> > that he can't maintain it while I haven't accepted it, I don't want to
>> > accept patches from anyway.
>>
>> Linus, the problem is that when I submit a patch, I don't want to
>> unneccesarily overload you by resubmitting on too short a notice.
>>
>> So I wait, and wait. Nothing happens.
>>
>> If you publish a Linus-manual and tell us after what time we should
>> resubmit, things should be a lot more workable.
>
>If we get Linus using procmail I think we can solve at least
>a little of the dilema... ;]

When I found out that Linus does not use procmail, I just about
fainted! I am on about 16 mailing lists, and I don't know how I
could handle it if my mail wasn't auto sorted into a folder for
each mailing list. I've got a folder "FRIENDS" which is one of
the first filters that gets executed, it grabs all mails from
certain people that I treat as "important". All mail not
filtered into a mailing list folder, and not into FRIENDS, goes
into my main inbox. I also have a DUPLICATE filter which saves
tonnes of work, and a JUNK filter which eliminates various crap
that I never want to see, as well as implementing a killfile for
idiot mail.

How can someone like Linus do this much mail, get any work done,
maintain Linux, *and* maintain his own sanity, without using
procmail?

True God status applies I suppose. ;o)

Linus, what do you use for a mail reader? hexdump? ;o)

Hehehhe.

Well, keep up the good work everyone, and to quote
you-know-who...

"Why can't we all just get along!" ;o)

Take care!
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris  -  Computer Consultant  -  Linux advocate

Linux software galore: http://freshmeat.net