Re: Storage Limitations

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu)
Fri, 2 Oct 1998 16:44:09 -0400

Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 19:06:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>

> I've been experimenting with a ~300GB Fibre channel Raid array and have
> experienced problems beginning with partitions of 10GB or more... I can
> create large partitions with fdisk, but mke2fs appears to suffer from a

You need to use a larger block size. Perhaps mke2fs ought to tell
you to do that when you choose a block size that is too small.
It seems you would need 4 kB blocks.

You shouldn't need to use a larger block size even with a 300GB
filesystem.

I've personally created a 54 gigabyte filesystem at a Linux Kongress a
few years back, when I hooked up my laptop to a partially populated RAID
array at the vendor trade show.

(Make sure you turn on the sparse superblocks option if you're using a
2.1 kernel, though. At 300GBs, it's really important to turn on the
sparse superblock option if your kernel can support it, since a lot of
space is wasted otherwise.)

- Ted