Re: More fuel to the fire [Linus' aesthetic DOES scale!]

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Thu, 1 Oct 1998 20:36:18 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 1 Oct 1998, Benjamin Redelings I wrote:

> Not that that maintainers are stupid, but that they just do things
> that "work", and that they don't think about the implications
> enough. At least he used to, but it didn't seem to have much
> effect. However, it does work though: R. Gooch gave Linus a patch
> that Linus actually liked by THINKING about it for while first :)

Then maybe it would make sense to make a new rule stating
that patches should be submitted by at least 2 developers.

No, I don't mean two mails, but I mean two names signing
the mail with the patch. That way Linux might be shielded
from a lot of stuff that just isn't beautiful or scalable
enough.

> If people do thinking of the kind, patches will be easier to
> read, and they will be smaller, and there will be fewer, and they
> will accomplish more. Thus effectively increasing Linus's Mhz,
> besides distributing some of the work.

We've all seen it. Thinking long and hard about a patch and
then creating it with multiple people pays of in the long
run. Consider this an invitation to thought.

Just an idea ;)

Rik.