Re: linux SMP stability or lack thereof

Holger Marzen (marzen@mgi.de)
Thu, 1 Oct 1998 15:10:48 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Doug Ledford wrote:

> Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 00:13:11 -0500
> From: Doug Ledford <dledford@dialnet.net>
> To: Ricardo Galli Granada <gallir@atlas-iap.es>
> Cc: linux-smp@vger.rutgers.edu, linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> Subject: Re: linux SMP stability or lack thereof
>
> Ricardo Galli Granada wrote:
>
> > > There is definitely at least one 2.0.x SMP lockup problem I've seen
> > > several times and we have EIP traces off. It however isnt a blank screen
> > > dead machine lockup, its a "Deadlock detected on ....." message in each
> > > of the reports it tallies to or alternatively its a "live machine
> > nothing
> > > happening" livelock. Again predictable.
> > > Finally try with 2.0.29 kernel images. The only "major" SMP change in
> > > recent history is about 2.0.30 when Leonard added some IRQ
> > forwardingfacilities.

I run 2.0.35 on a Gigabyte 586DX (dual Pentium, not Pentium II) board.
First it seemed as 2.0.34 with disabled PCI-bridge-optimiziation would
give a stable system. It didn't. Then I compiled 2.0.35. But we had 2
lockups (Previous IPI ...) in one week. Since this is a production
machine I gave up temporarly and compiled a single processor kernel.
Well, if I have another lockup then something might be wrong with my
hardware.

But I have still some questions:
- Is SMP support considered to be stable - or not?
- Do I need some patches for my 2.0.35 (both CPUs report 'good'
bogomips)
- Is it a proven fact that my motherboard is not SMP-safe? Are there
some?