Re: Linus is on a powertrip..

Wed, 30 Sep 1998 11:16:13 +0100

On Wed, Sep 30, 1998 at 12:46:27AM -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> I think it would help matters all around if there were a web page somewhere
> listing pending patches and even as little as a one-line comment from you
> as to where they are in the integration process. It might even help you
> organize your own work better.

This is what Wine uses: there's a public web page for patches, but
everything has to be accepted by the principal maintainer (Alexandre
Julliard) to get into the main release.

Some of the subsystems are maintained by other designated maintainers,
who then submit patches to Alexandre.

It seems to work quite well. I get the impression Wine is a much better
run project than it was a couple of years ago.

The main tree is released on a regular fixed schedule, every two weeks
except when Alexandre takes a holiday. This may also help, I don't know
if it would help Linus to work that way.

-- Jamie