Re: utility for testing ram?

Matthias Bilger (billman@deepthought.wh.uni-stuttgart.de)
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 09:24:45 +0200

Hi!

On Mon, Sep 28, 1998 at 11:02:46AM -0700, Mike Orr wrote:
> The problem is, failed compiles only prove that something is wrong; they
> don't specify which component is bad. But a memory test that reports the
> location of the error helps convince the computer store that this part is
> defective and needs to be exchanged.

If you would have a dedicated RAM testing program, it could also fail
if your CPU/cache/tagram or whatever doesn't work properly.
Anyway, I think there wa an utility to check memory on the Atari ST/TT -
the routines used were also used for testing RAM which was used in
satellites (but the rest of the architecture was much more simple that days
- and when an error occured, it was almost certain that it was really a
RAM-error

Matthias

--
Matthias Bilger # http://wwwcip.rus.uni-stuttgart.de/~tpe10589