2.1.123 works for me Re: "Official" kernel source

Edward Welbon (welbon@bga.com)
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 01:09:05 -0500 (CDT)

I am using the ftp.kernel.org 2.1.123 source on intel, I had to delete a
redefinition of `con_copy_unimap' from drivers/char/consolemap.c but
otherwise, there were no problems (but I don't use frame buffer). My
sound (Cyrstal 4232) loads, plays and unloads no problem. I can mount my
IDE CDROM. I also have four SCSI cards and 9 disk stripe (raid0 mounted
as /) on this box, all working fine (one pass of Bonnie worked). I see no
good evidence yet that 2.1.123 is significantly different in performance
from 2.1.120. In the kernels from 2.1.121 to 2.1.123-2, I could not boot
SMP so actually for me this kernel is a huge performance improvement.

On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, Shane Stringer wrote:

> Hearing from Linus His Own Self that the vger CVS kernel isn't official,
> and then finding that one can't build a valid kernel just from patches,
> I am left wondering just what a common plebian should do to upgrade to
> 2.1.123.

2.1.123 with the above noted fix worked for this plebian.

Ed Welbon welbon@spaminator.bga.com
ln -sf cookies /dev/null