Re: Building Big Ass Linux Machine, what are the limits?

Neil Conway (nconway.list@ukaea.org.uk)
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 19:36:54 +0000

Chris Zwilling wrote:

> I heard that the Xeon can not scale beyond four processors.
> (http://www.intel.com/archive/speeches/sp062998.htm).

Hmm, I heard that limit was short-term and due to chipset trouble, but
that 8/16-way would be forthcoming. Also, that link you mention above is
no longer working - Intel covering their tracks ? :-))

Neil
(PS: never mind 36-bit, just being able to use 2-4GB of phys. mem. beats
a lot of PPro boards and certainly most PII boards so that's one (for me
anyway) good reason to buy Xeon... In fact, I just wish they had made
PII systems with more RAM and more CPU's cos the Xeon doesn't improve on
the PII very much in any tests I've ever seen and is generally slower
than a PII-450 in fact.
Roll on Linux/4GB :-O )