Re: amdk6-2, MVP3 and linux

Andre M. Hedrick (hedrick@astro.dyer.vanderbilt.edu)
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 11:28:25 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, Koos Vriezen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First I installed Red Hat 5.1 (kernel 2.0.35). Next I compiled the new
> egcs 1.1b compiler optimized for a pentium (pgcc). I got a signal 11
> in this attempt. Only after reducing my motherboard bus speed from 100 to
> 66 MHz, and CPU speed from 300 MHz to 266 MHz the compiler compiled.
> I even tried anothor 100 MHz DIMM module, without success.
> I'm using 2.1.123 kernel now, enabled the new VIA driver without success.

Please describe in detail your definition of "without success".

> > > Could these described problems be a result of poorly support of linux for
> > > my hardware?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Koos Vriezen

In the past (pre-2.1.121) you may have a point, but as of 2.1.122, there
were timing masks and flags setup to correctly tune the chipset to
(U)DMA timing codes. If you have overclocked hard, then the timing values
may be invalidated by those actions.

Second, I have reports that other amdk6-2@300 MHz MVP3 are fully
functional a now runs correctly as a result of the new timeing codes.

Regards,
Andre Hedrick