Re: ISDN encaps

Henner Eisen (eis@baty.hanse.de)
25 Sep 1998 21:16:15 +0200

Hi,

Gerard Paul Java <gerardj@cebu.mozcom.com> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> Sorry if this isn't strictly kernel-related, but I know you guys are the
> best equipped to answer this.
>
> (1) I'd like to know what the ioctl() calls are to determine the
> encapsulation
> for an ISDN interface (rawip, syncppp, cisco-h, etc) from a user-space
> program.

IIOCNETGCF (operates on /dev/isdnctrl*). Have a look at isdn_{common,net}.c
and the isdnctrl sources for further details.

> (2) I also know that sync ppp interfaces are ippp, but what of the other
> types of encapsulations?

The name is arbitrarily configurable. For other encapsulations they are
usually (but not necessarily) named isdn*.

> (3) How about the spkt_family field after a packet is read from a
> SOCK_PACKET socket? What values does it contain for other encapsulations.
> I know that sync PPP returns an ARPHRD_PPP, but what of the others.

isdn interfaces claim to be ethernet devices, unless they are configured
for encapsulation sync_ppp (ARPHRD_PPP) or x25iface (ARPHRD_X25).

Henner