Re: new swap cache regime

Bill Hawes (whawes@transmeta.com)
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 09:01:08 -0700

Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> I produced a new patch. This new one fix a little stupid thing in the last
> one (it was setting last_page as the page removed from the swap cache ;-).
> This new patch also limit a bit more the search in the swap cache list if
> the priority is low (high in number). It also shrink the swap cache when
> the swapout code can' t find a free entry. This helps very much (I cheked
> that it works most of the time when the system is stressed) and give more
> balance the the system.

Hi Andrea,

I think your patch is a bit off the mark, as there's no need to add new special code to reclaim pages
from the swap cache. The shrink_mmap code already handles it -- that's the whole point to using an inode
to anchor the swap cache.

All that needs to be done to handle the case of a parent forking with swapped out pages is (1) leave the
page in the swap cache if the swap_map count says it's still being used, and (2) remove the message about
freeing pages from the swap cache, as these will now become rather more frequent.

Regards,
Bill