Re: patch cow-swapin [was Re: Very bad swap bug -- 2.0, 2.1 at least]

Bill Hawes (whawes@transmeta.com)
Thu, 24 Sep 1998 10:56:40 -0700

Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> The point is that 2.1.x has the swap cache. Currently the swap cache is
> only an overhead since as now it isn' t caching nothing. The swap cache
> currently make sense only if nobody would write on the swapped out pages
> anymore. I am currently working (also Sthepen is working on that) to give
> a _sense_ to the swap cache since it seems to be the right thing to do. In
> real world I am pretty sure that my funny patch would work be faster than
> use the swap cache to avoid the swapin but the cache approch is more
> generic (works also if the parent process remap it' s memroy for example
> (pointed out by sct)).

It may be that a simple change to the swap cache policy would help keep pages
cached for situations like this. Currently pages are removed from the swap
cache when the last in-memory use is retired, but instead we could test the
swap_map use count and kept the page cached if there were multiple
references. Then it would be likely that a subsequent use would find the
cached page and not need a swap-in.

There's no harm in doing this, as the page could be reclaimed by shrink_mmap
if the system needs the memory. Perhaps Stephen can comment on whether this
would be effective ...

Regards,
Bill