Re: ip_masq and IP_MASQ_S_ESTABLISHED

Harald Hoyer (HarryH@Royal.Net)
Thu, 24 Sep 1998 07:55:37 +0200

Steve Thompson wrote:

> I don't know about anyone else, but I find that the default value of
> 15 minutes for IP_MASQ_S_ESTABLISHED seems a little short. I may be slightly
> atypical, but I have been driven to insanity by many things. After increasing
> the timeout to two hours in my kernel, my many ssh sessions no longer go away
> long before I am finished with them, and I find myself with slightly less
> impetus to blow things up.
man ssh(1):
KeepAlive
Specifies whether the system should send keepalive
messages to the other side. If they are sent,
death of the connection or crash of one of the
machines will be properly noticed. However, this
means that connections will die if the route is
down temporarily, and some people find it annoying.

The default is "yes" (to send keepalives), and the
client will notice if the network goes down or the
remote host dies. This is important in scripts,
and many users want it too.

To disable keepalives, the value should be set to
"no" in both the server and the client configura­
tion files.

Should be enough to prevent the masq port from closing...

Your mode of life will be changed to ASCII.