Re: NEWSFLASH! Linux ported to Commodore VIC-20!!

Geert Uytterhoeven (Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be)
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 10:55:28 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 15 Sep 1998, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > I should have written PSNR (Peak Signal to Noise Ratio). The
> > absolute value of the peak signal is 2^15. Well, you'll find both
> > SNR and PSNR in various CD manuals. So either 96 or 90 dB.
>
> Gotcha. I still think the conventional SNR makes more sense; after
> all a 1-bit DAC still provides some signal, but per your definition of
> the PSNR it would have a 0 dB noise margin, and a total data loss (0
> bits) would have negative...

The idle state of the 1-bit DAC is 0, while the idle state of the 16-bit signed
DAC is also 0. But the peak state for the 1-bit DAC is 1, and about 2^15 for
the 16 bit-DAC.

Well, definitions get questionable when comapring signed and unsigned DACs.
But we're getting off topic... Linux rules!

Greetings,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven                     Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be