Re: showstopper race condition in sync() ??? [2.1.119|120]

Cyrille Chepelov (chepelov@rip.ens-cachan.fr)
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 08:24:27 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> This is a sign that an IO has got stuck in the kernel's block device
> buffer cache. Given that the problem is in the sync(), it is most
> likely to be that a write to the password file or lock file itself
> which is causing the problem.

But then, why on a write to _this_ file only ? (actually, since my
original post, I reproduced it while adding quota to the /var/spool/mail
partition. The machine locked after the first (manual) "quotacheck" (but
doesn't during reboots)).

> It won't help: the problem is down in a device driver somewhere, and
> is most unlikely to be related in any way to the file contents. My
> first reaction would be to run "badblocks" on the disk ("e2fsck -c")
> to check for and to relocate bad blocks on the disk, and then to try
> again. If it is still reproducible, then let me know.

That was my first reaction, despite the fact that the HD is new (bought 15
days ago), and has been formatter with bad block checking. Anyway,
"badblocks" found nothing.

TIA.

-- Cyrille