Re: NEWSFLASH! Linux ported to Commodore VIC-20!!

Adam D. Bradley (artdodge@cs.bu.edu)
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 21:13:52 -0400 (EDT)

On 14 Sep 1998, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Followup to: <Pine.LNX.3.96.980914120636.10637O-100000@waste.org>
> By author: Oliver Xymoron <oxymoron@waste.org>
> > On 14 Sep 1998, Anders Melchiorsen wrote:
> >
> > > So a 4 hour video tape could carry like 60MB if your data is correct.
> >
> > If you only use the audio tracks. With a VGA-to-NTSC converter and a
> > framegrabber, you could up this number quite a bit. Assuming only
> > 320x200x8 resolution, grabbing only 15 frames a sec (below even VHS
> > quality), that's 64k/frame*15frames/sec*3600sec/hour=~ 3.5G/hour. Of
> > course, for the cost of a decent framegrabber, genlock, and VCR, you could
> > buy a good tape drive..
>
> There is no way you're going to get enough quality on NTSC to
> distinguish that many pixels reliably. Especially not recorded on
> VHS... But there *are* fairly cheap off-the-shelf devices that use
> VHS tape recorders as data storage media; they were popular in the
> early 90's.

Devices like the Alesis ADAT (and ADAT-XT etc) come to mind (since I used
it to record the instruments for a soundtrack a few years ago); it puts 8
channels of digital audio onto a SVHS videocassette. I think the ADAT
family has digital input and output ports as well. If we can recover even
half the bit-depth of CD quality, thats 8tracks * 44100 samples/sec *
8bits/sample * 1byte/8bits = 352800bytes/sec, aka 340K/sec, roughly
1.1gigs/hour. (If we can recover full 16-bit resolution, double that.
Sorry, I don't remember the playback bit-depth of the ADAT but I know you
could use 44.1KHz and 48KHz sample rates, among others...)

It's priced a little beyond the "consumer electronics" range though, so a
"backup to ADAT" driver probably won't be appearing for the Linux kernel
any time soon ;-)

Adam

--
You crucify all honesty             \\Adam D. Bradley  artdodge@cs.bu.edu
No signs you see do you believe      \\Boston University Computer Science