Re: My first Kernel panic / 2.0.34

Gregory Maxwell (linker@z.ml.org)
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 18:49:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Alex Buell wrote:

<snip>
> Maybe someday machines will have the intelligence to detect attacks on
> themselves and defend themselves, or even go on the offensive and kill
> the attacker.
>
> How about cyberhunting seasons!? Bounty paid for each spammer destroyed..

Umm.. I know a system that does this. TCP wrappers twists telnets to a
fake login program. If you try to login as any of two dozen names
(admin,root,guest,games,snake...). It winnukes, teardrops, nesteas you.
Wery trivial. The funnyest part is the attacker doesn't realize the
connection until the second or third try.

I has also setup TCP wrappers for a certian port below 1024. I defined it
as Attacktest in /etc/services. Any connect to this port sent the above
attacks to the connector. It was a very easy to test machines, and it
turned out to be a BIG supprise for strobers!