Re: NEWSFLASH! Linux ported to Commodore VIC-20!!

Anders Melchiorsen (postmaster@and.nospam.kampsax.k-net.dk)
14 Sep 1998 21:57:24 +0200

Geert Uytterhoeven <Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be> writes:

> > video tape. However, as you may know, cards already exist to let you
> > store data on the video portion of a video tape (rough cost is US$50)
>
> These devices exist since ages. For Amiga, you had a cable that connected to
> the video port (for writing) and the serial port (for reading). The actual
> hardware was next to nothing (a TTL IC and some capacitors and resistors).

What I think is cool about the "Audio tape device" is that the
required additional hardware is *nothing*, assuming that playback/record
is already hooked up to the stereo.

Even if the capacity is just, say, 20MB it is still a lot more
convenient than going around with fifteen floppies. I'd rather go get
a cup of coffee while copying than I would spend time splitting,
switching floppies (twice), and joining. Also, if the tape deck has a
timer, you could make automatic copies by night :-). All this without
any investment.

Yes, I actually like the idea a lot. Unfortunately I am afraid that
the people who say that distortion and whatnot keeps this from working
are right. I don't know why, it is just a feeling. Perhaps because I
am thinking something like "if it was possible it would have been done
long ago".

Does anyone KNOW about this stuff? I think the extrapolation from tape
drives (around 100KB/tape) vs. modems (around 100MB/tape) is merely
guesswork and I have little idea which figure is closest to what might
be possible today. For ˝MB/minute, I would probably use it...

--
Regards, Anders
(address is valid)

Johnson's First Law: When any mechanical contrivance fails, it will do so at the most inconvenient possible time.